Technology is reshaping the world, bringing about a change in how things work. Businesses are going digital and prompting a transformation in the nature of jobs. This transition has influenced the growth of new skills, digital skills. Now is the time to go digital to become a successful entrepreneur or employee that stays relevant.
The best way to prepare for this modern development and the future of work is to acquire vital modern skills. You have to grow from just being handy with physical tools to virtual tools.
Digital skills are currently in high demand. You can become your boss or get a high paying job. Stay ahead of your folks in the labour market.
What Digital Skill Should You Learn?
Due to technological development and all, we now have virtual skill sets that are in high demand with good pay. While there are a lot of digital skills to learn, you should pick an in-demand skill to boost your relevance in the digital world. That being said, question yourself;
– What should I invest my time in learning?
– What digital skill should I learn to stay relevant?
The questions above will open your mind to several incredible marketable skills that you will find in the cause of this blog post. Before you dive into learning any skill, understand that “it’s one thing to learn and another to excel in what you’ve learnt.” Best be choosy by picking any of the best digital skills you can commit to after engulfing books and tutorials.
This post will give a detailed overview of at least 5 of the best digital skills you can learn from the comfort of your home. The good thing about digital skills is that learning is unending; you get better with every practice. To further help you chase your dreams, I’ll include the best resources, books and courses to enable you to learn a marketable skill on the internet.
The Best Marketable Digital Skills to Learn
Digital marketing is likely the most in-demand skill on the internet. People who have sustained enough experience in this field offer several digital marketing services to business owners looking to promote their products and services.
Digital marketing, as the name implies, is an element of marketing that employs tools on the internet to promote products and services. The primary medium of digital marketing is; social media, blogs, search engines. In summary, digital marketing aims to connect businesses to prospective customers.
A lot of people think that marketing is about reaching the right target audience. But this is only part of the goal. You also need to make sure that you are keeping the cost of your promotional strategy under control. For instance it’s important to understand how to lower CPC for a PPC marketing campaign or ensure that SEO doesn’t cost a fortune.
To begin a career in this field, one has to b versatile in the relevant digital marketing skills, some of which are listed below;
- Search Engine Optimization(SEO)
- Social media management(SMM)
- Email marketing
- Analytics tools
- Content marketing
Best places to learn digital marketing
- Start your career as a digital marketer with Coursera
- Udemy offers various digital marketing courses you can start taking right away.
- Digital garage by Google offers a free certificate course on digital marketing.
Data Analytics and Data Science
Data is an essential aspect of the internet and the world at large. It is majorly a process of inspecting, cleansing, transforming and modelling data to discover useful information that supports decision-making.
Every sector requires substantial data to function correctly. Companies need data to learn about consumers, their needs and essential information that promote growth. Data analytics and science are consistently demanded jobs with competitive pay.
While getting started, you learn Data analytics, then go further with data science to boost knowledge and relevance.
Best places to learn data analytics and data science
- Browse Coursera data analytics and science courses to kickstart a career in data science.
- Get a hand in data analytics on Futurelearn for free (upgrade required for certification and further learning).
If you are good with paper and pencil, now may be the time to go digital with your talent. More and more artists are bringing their skills to the internet for better job opportunities. Graphic designing goes beyond drawing to creating outstanding arts that tell a story with visual and textual content. A finished graphic art should convey the message of the project, event, campaign or product to the target audience.
If you are looking to delve into this field, whether you’re just getting started or not, you need the right course or tutorial to master digital art. You need to understand tools like Photoshop, Corel draw, Illustrator, et al as they serve as your workspace. To pick a career in this field, you need to take the right courses.
The easiest way to monetise this skill is to offer services like brand logos, business cards and landing pages creation.
Best places to learn Graphic Design and Illustration
- Skillshare is an excellent modern creatives platform offering several tutorial videos on graphic design and illustration. You can browse their design and illustration category pages to choose the best tutor for you.
- Udemy offers both free and paid courses on graphic designing. Be sure to use the user reviews to weigh upon your selections.
- Tut+ offers several Adobe photoshop courses. Browse the list and choose the best for you.
If you’d rather stay relevant in the 21st Century, you need to acquire the right skills, and programming is inarguably one of the best to learn.
Best places to learn coding and programming
- Pluralsight offers one of the best courses on programming. There are several languages to choose from to kickstart your coding journey. The month of April is currently free on Pluralsight.
- Browse Udemy for all its fantastic courses on different programming languages.
- Codeacademy will guide you through your journey in programming with their excellent courses. Browse the category and make a decision or take their quiz to help you make your selection.
Web development is a subset of programming that revolves around website setup and designing. A web developer doesn’t always deal with codes as there are applications to make the job easier. Web developing is one of the fastest-growing and highest-paying jobs in tech. It’s competitive but easily monetisable.
You’ll be surprised at how easy it’s to start a career in this field due to the applications that simplify everything. In the end, you may only need your CSS and HTML skill for a few edits and fixes while you work.
Best places to learn Web development
- WP101 offers monthly and a yearly subscription for access to their coursework on WordPress.
- Learn web development on Pluralsight by browsing a search list of web developing topics.
- Learn web development on Udemy by browsing the category and choosing the best course for you.
- Codeacademy will guide you through your journey in web development with their amazing courses. Browse the category and take a decision or take their quiz to help you make your selection.
The Best Place To Learn Marketable Digital Skills
Thanks to technological development, you can learn from the same device you use to keep up with friends throughout the day, any time of the day, and anywhere you are.
In the course of the blog post, I mentioned several courses and tutorials that will help you learn your desired skill. Below is a list of all the places mentioned in this post. You are not limited to the courses mentioned in this post. If you want to learn several other digital and non-digital skills, you can browse their categories and choose the best for you.
- Digital Garage by Google
There is no limit to what you can learn with the right information and determination. To start your journey in the digital world, you only need data and registration fee (if you are opting for a premium course). Be sure to make your selection wisely. You don’t want to start a course you’ll likely never learn.
Note that most of the courses on this post are premium courses and others are free. Some free courses require a premium subscription for further learning. Good luck in your quest for financial freedom.